This blog is designed to explore the new Fairy Tale Tarot by Lisa Hunt. But since I LOVE to blog....I am sure I'll wander off into some other musings about fairytales!!

"The Fairy Tale Tarot cards are like gazing into that pool. They reflect different aspects of each of us. They illuminate or accentuate those parts of us that we seek, or deny, or just long to understand. The cards and the fairy tales they are based on, provide a framework for understanding self and the human aspects of life. And maybe the "not so human" aspects too....the spiritual. They are the water in the pool. Clear and shimmering, reflecting clearly and yet also bringing forth tiny glimpses of those wings. It is this aspect of the cards that called to me. I feel they have things to reveal to me and I am anxious to hear them "speak."

Friday, August 7, 2009

Fairy Godmothers

Since the Fairy Godmother in Hunt's deck is my favorite, I thought it would be interesting to search for fairygodmother images online. There are literally thousands of them...some rather funny cartoon/joke ones too by the way. The one above caught my eye. It's from the Cinderalla story...and yet has a different sort of feel to it.

I'm not really sure where this image originated but it has a sultry "feel" too it. It's sort of combination Indian Princess....sultry vixen....not really "classic fairy godmother".

This one has a bit of a magical feel to it..but honestly the fairy godmother looks like she is soooo old...she might need to crawl into the pumpkin and take a nap. LOL
I'll stand by my original reflections about the fairy godmother card in the Fairy Tale Tarot...not your ordinary fairy godmother but a woman of age, wisdom, experience and compassion. I think the lure of this card is the gentle wisdom of the face and yet the figure has a certain energy about it, strong and determined...not easily swayed. The fairy godmother on the card is the main figure on the card with a paler woman in the background. Since they are standing among the pumpkins I am assuming the background figure is Cinderella....but hmmmm.
When I look at the card again I wonder...well I think it is Cinderella but at the same time..the idea that it is a younger "version" of the Fairy godmother came to mind. Sort of like the pale figure is a "shadow" of what the fairy godmother was in the past...and that in fact as we age and grow in wisdom....our "past, younger self" fades but is never really gone. We still contain that younger version of ourself. Reminds me of the idea that comes to mind when people say: "they don't "feel" old"...as if that youthful part of a person's spirit is always there. Or perhaps we are both...at times Cinderella and at other times in our lives, the Fairy Godmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment